A recent article has suggested that the robot workplace revolution currently underway means that fewer human jobs will be available in Northamptonshire in the future as automation takes hold.
This apparent susceptibility to automation is because of the particular make-up of our economic sector which has a strong emphasis on logistics and manufacturing. Actually, our region is one of the best performing in the UK in terms of productivity, although some of this is led by particularly highly productive parts of the area.
Work will undoubtedly change. There will be very few ‘jobs for life’ so it will be very important to have the skills and confidence to take on a range of different challenges over your working life.
Here are a few tips about how to approach the choices you make now to future-proof your employability:
- Take your learning as far as you can – the higher your skills levels, the more likely you are to have something to offer to employers.
- Never stop learning – technology, work and life will keep changing at an ever-increasing pace. Being able to acquire new skills will be key to keeping one step ahead.
- Practice applying the skills you’ve got to new and interesting situations – adaptability and the ability to work creatively make you more employable.
- Pick careers you love – being passionate about your work means you naturally keep ahead and that you’ll be the best in your field.
- Get tech-savvy – robots will take some jobs but many of the new roles that arise out of this revolution will involve working alongside computers and robots to combine their productivity with your skills and expertise.
Embrace the future and don’t fear the robots. Change is always scary but it’s also really exciting. You’re going to be part of one of the most exciting periods in our history. How great is that?