Summary of course
This level is ideal for experienced students with an understanding and practical experience of specialist engineering technologies and principles and have studied and successfully passed Level 2 Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering.
This qualification provides knowledge and practical skills related to the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering.
To gain the qualification you must complete a range of mandatory and optional units.
What will I study?
The units you will study are likely to include:
- 301 Engineering health and safety
- 302 Engineering principles
- 307 Principles of Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering
Three of the following Specialist Units:
- Machining materials by turning
- Machining materials by milling
- Machining materials by grinding
- Detailed fitting of materials
- Advanced mathematics and science
- Produce drawings using CAD
All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
How is the course assessed?
The assessment methods for this qualification are as follows:
- Units 301 and 302: Online multiple-choice assessment
- Assignment 2850-307: The assessment includes short-answer questions to verify coverage of the underpinning knowledge in the unit
- All other units: Assignments
The assessment covers the practical activities for all outcomes and will also sample underpinning knowledge to verify coverage of the unit. Centre devised assignments are internally marked and externally verified.
Your Study Programme
If you are aged 16-18, you will join a Study Programme. We will make sure you are working at the right level on your core qualification and are challenged to achieve the highest level of qualification you can. All students will continue to improve their maths and English and if you don't have a grade 4 (C) at GCSE, we will work with you towards achieving that goal (subject to specific entry requirements for particular courses). Work experience will be part of your study programme and complement your college study and prepare you for employment. You will also get involved in activities to help you develop life skills and to build your confidence so you can make progress in your career. Weekly timetables will include tutorial support which may comprise of full group activities or one to one sessions to discuss individual progress or support needs.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for you if you have an interest in:
- following an Apprenticeship and Advanced Modern Apprenticeship programmes
- career progression within the Engineering industry
- developing the skills learnt from other qualifications
- attaining evidence towards the underpinning knowledge of the N/SVQ
- gaining a Level 3 qualification in mechanical manufacturing engineering
Progression and Career Opportunities
You could progress onto a higher apprenticeship in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering or other qualifications such as:
- Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
- Level 4 NVQ Extended Diploma in Engineering Manufacture.
This qualification can help you to progress in a wide range of engineering roles including:
- Engineering operative
- Engineering maintenance technician
- Mechanical engineering technician
- Sheet metal worker
- Toolmaker/machine setter.
Entry Requirements for new students
4 GCSEs at Grade 9-4 It will be a requirement to have a Level 2 in Engineering to progress on to this Level 3 qualification.
You must bring your interview letter to your appointment and arrive 15 minutes before your interview is due to take place.
Express a desire to move onto a higher level qualification.
General Info (materials required for the course)
You will require full PPE for the workshops, (Steel toe capped boots, overalls, safety glasses)and calculator, pens, pencils, books etc.