City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Body Repair and Refinishing
Four GCSEs at Grade D or above or an appropiate Level 1 qualification.
This course will continue to develop the skills obtained at Level 1. At least a third of the course is spent in the workshop developing your skills in the manufacture, repair and refinishing of motor vehicle bodies and components. The course is normally delivered over three days a week.
Subjects covered include:
• Vehicle panel repair
• Vehicle body component manufacture
• Motor vehicle structures
• Materials joining
• Preparing and refinishing vehicle panels and components
• Using composite materials to manufacture body components
• Advanced practical hand skills
• Tools and equipment used in refinishing
• Applying fillers and foundation materials
• Working with plastic materials and components
• Preparing metal and pre-painted surfaces
• Repairing minor paint defects
• Establishing and rectifying minor paint defects
• Applying topcoats and completing refinishing operations
• Vehicle colour matching.
You could gain employment and continue further study via block release courses on an Apprenticeship programme.
- Course running at Northampton