If you want to work in Automotive Engineering, Electrical Installations, Electrical & Electronics, Mechanical Engineering or Fabrication and Welding we offer real opportunities for you to train in a highly innovative environment using state-of-the-art equipment and heavy machinery. We offer access to three different learning levels, starting at Level 1, and followed by Levels 2 and 3. To start with, you’ll undergo an induction into the School of Engineering in your chosen area of study that will also introduce you to the College’s facilities. You’ll be asked to complete a set of diagnostic tasks, giving our teaching staff a better understanding of your learning needs. Your tutor will then direct you to a suitable course that best matches your needs. Throughout your course, we’ll expect 100% attendance as an indication of your commitment to your study.
You will be allocated a Personal Tutor who will work alongside you, setting targets, supporting your learning and feeding back assessment information. You will have at least three personal progress reviews in each academic year. To help you develop your Engineering knowledge you’ll be expected to play an active role in project work and take advantage of extra-curricular activities offered through our enrichment programme. Work experience is also essential; this is a minimum of one day, but normally one week in each academic year, depending on an appropriate and suitable placement being found. You will also undergo basic Health and Safety training as part of your course during your programme.
Our specialist resources include:
• Themed classrooms
• An advanced engineering workshop, electronics workshop and computer-aided design suites
• A substantial electrical installation training area
• State-of-the-art automotive and welding area
• The latest vehicle air-conditioning and system diagnostic equipment
• Large spray booth for vehicle re-finishing and six additional training booths
• Support from Snap-On Tools and a range of vehicle manufacturers.
• Electrical maintenance, inspection and test facilities
• Fully equipped mechanical engineering workshop.
As well as the main academic programme, you'll also be expected to take part in the College Enrichment Programme, which offers a wide range of activities such as sign language, sports, drumming, driving test theory and many more.
For more information please see our Enrichment area.