Music & Music Technology
Music and Music Technology have become popular subjects with young people and we offer real opportunities to specialise in Music Performance, Music Technology and Music Production.
The Music department currently has over 250 Full-time students studying a range of programmes from Level 2 to Level 4. You can progress from all our music courses on to further education and training or into work, most of which is on a self-employed or part-time basis. It is essential that you are able to develop as wide a range of employment skills as possible (including strong networking and promotional skills) and our full-time courses are specifically designed to give you realistic expectations of the music industry.
We have a vibrant and creative musical culture within the department and particularly encourage the creation of original music in all its formats and styles.
We regularly use local music venues such as The Roadmender and work closely with a range of other local music industry organisations including record labels, promoters and media.
Our specialist resources include:
• Pro Tools HD 2 studio with D Command desk, live drum and vocal booth
• Pro Tools digital recording studio with a SSL MATRIX desk
• Pro Tools/Logic Midi studio with a range of synths and sound modules
• Three Apple Mac music technology suites providing Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase & Sibelius
• A performance room with full PA and backline
• Five sound-proofed booths with PAs, drum kits, amplifiers and microphones
• Five sets of Technics record decks, DJ mixers & CDJs
• A Roland keyboard lab
• Venue with PA and lighting rig (The Underground)
• Teaching staff with a wide range of professional music industry experience.
As well as the main academic programme, you'll also be expected to take part in the College Enrichment Programme, which offers a wide range of activities such as sign language, sports, drumming, driving test theory and many more.
For more information please see our Enrichment area.