Awarding Body: Pearson BTEC
Qualifications on offer: Higher National Certificate/Diploma in Business
Summary of course
This programme provides students with limitless opportunities and practical preparation for management within a business context. The course has a strong vocational focus and ensures you have the skills and techniques to support your progression into industry. It has been designed to embrace the ever-changing nature of the modern business environment and will include modules of marketing, finance, human resources and operations management. Our mix of theory and practice enables you to apply what you have learned to real industry situations, enhancing your employment prospects.
The course will be delivered by a series of lectures and workshops. There will also be opportunities for students to be in a work environment. Part-time study may be available for this course and these options will be discussed at your interview. Outside of timetabled sessions, students will be expected to allocate a minimum of two days per week to complete any research and coursework requirements. Lessons are usually timetabled over two to three days per week. Teaching staff have extensive industry experience alongside their academic achievements.
What will I study?
The units you will study are likely to include:
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Essentials
- Human Resource Management
- Management and Operations
- Management Accounting
- Managing a Successful Business Project
- Research Project
- Organisational Behaviour
Additional Sample Units:
- Innovation and Commercialisation
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- Developing Individuals, Teams and Organisations
- Human Resources - Value and Contribution to Organisational Success
- Consumer Behaviour and Insight
- International Marketing
- Pitching and Negotiation Skills
All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
How is the course assessed?
Course-work and exam to include report writing, presentations, group tasks and interviews.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for you if you have an interest focussing on the development of higher-level skills in a business context or if you are employed and wish to gain a higher level qualification in business management.
Progression and Career Opportunities
Employment or Higher Education.
Entry Requirements for new students
Students will require an appropriate Level 3 qualification which equates to a total of 48 UCAS points (such as 2 Ds or above in A Levels, an overall MP grade in BTEC Diploma or equivalent, an overall PASS grade in BTEC Extended Diploma or equivalent, an Access to HE Diploma or an Advanced Apprenticeship).
Students will also need to achieve a grade 4 [C] or above in English and Maths at GCSE level. Applicants aged 21 or older who do not have the entry requirements may be eligible for acceptance based on an interview.
With the cancellation of this summer's GCSE exams now confirmed, this is understandably a difficult and uncertain time for applicants planning to start college in September.
Your application is very important to us and we are committed to ensuring you receive the best possible experience.
We will consider your application carefully and will let you know, by email, if the College would like to make you a conditional offer based on you meeting the specified entry requirements.
If your application suggests that an alternative subject area or course level would be more appropriate for you at this stage, we will contact you either by telephone, email or text.
General Info (materials required for the course)
The BTEC HNC/HND in Business has been developed to focus on:
- Providing education and training for a range of careers in business.
- Providing opportunities for students to follow specialised areas of study directly relevant to individual vocations and professions within the business context
- Providing opportunities for full-time students to gain a nationally-recognised, vocationally specific qualification to enter employment in business or progress to higher education vocational qualifications such as a full-time degree in business or a related area
- Developing the knowledge, understanding and skills of students in the field of business
- Providing opportunities for students to develop a range of skills, techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.