Data protection compliance is an essential legal requirement for all organisations. Since the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force in May 2018, it is more vital than ever that everyone who works with personal data understands the law and acts in compliance, as the penalties can be severe.
What will I study?
- Current data protection legislation, and how it is applied
- Organisational procedures concerning data
- Possible threats to ICT systems and data, and how to protect against them
- Consequences of not protecting data, and then impact of possible breaches.
*All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone who enjoys studying independently and who needs to demonstrate an understanding of data protection and data security. It will help learners progress to a work role where data protection and data security knowledge is required.
How is the course assessed?
This course is studied online which allows you to progress at your own pace although you will be given deadlines to complete and submit the work. All the interactive learning materials and assessments you need will be made available to you through our online learning platform. You will receive detailed feedback on your work so that you can improve your skills as you progress through the qualification
Your Study Programme
This course is ideal for people who like to learn independently without coming into college. The online portfolio of resources and assessment questions means that you can organise your study to be at a time/day to suit and from a location which is convenient. You will need to study for a minimum of 2-3 hrs per week and finish the course within 10 weeks.
You will have access to specialist support from dedicated tutors who will be contactable via email/phone.
You will develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of:
- The concepts and fundamentals of data, including searching, storing, integrating and organising data
- The main features and benefits of digital information systems and how these are used to maintain information and to support organisations and best working practices
- The principles of organisational information security governance and the components of an organisation's cyber security technical infrastructure including hardware, operating systems, networks, software and cloud.
You will have the ability to:
- Install and configure basic hardware system components, networks and devices
- Write code following an appropriate logical approach to agreed standards
- Follow information security procedures.
What is required?
- Manage own time to meet deadlines and Manage stakeholder expectations
- Work independently and take responsibility for own actions within a given job role
- Work with a range of internal and external customers.
Once you have started on the course and submitted your first unit, our team will review and mark your work promptly. Your tutor will provide regular feedback that will help you to improve your skills and knowledge. We will also keep in touch with you to make sure that you are continuing to make good progress through the course and to check to see if there are any additional support needs. In the unlikely event that you are unable to complete the course within 10 weeks there is a withdrawal fee of £100.
Progression and Career Opportunities
Learners who complete this course often choose to study another online distance course, in particular Certificate in Lean Management is a popular choice.
At the end of the course, your tutor may suggest a suitable option for you to progress onto or you can contact the Enrolment team who will advise you on the courses available.
We also have a careers team available via phone, email or in-person who can help to plan a career pathway for you.
Entry Requirements for new students
You should have been living in the UK for 3 years by the start of the course. You should be over 19+ by 31.08 in the academic year you wish to study.
If you are aged 19-23 you must hold a full Level 2 qualification and not currently be enrolled on an apprenticeship.
If you are Aged 24+ or above (and resident in the UK/EU for 3 years before the start date).
You will also need to have access to a computer with a reliable internet connection so that you can complete and submit your work on time, an email account that you regularly check and/or a phone so that we can keep in contact with you.
You need to pass a short English assessment which will be emailed to you for completion. You will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient time to study the qualification as it is expected that you will achieve within 6-10 weeks.
After you submit your application, you will receive a pre-course assessment form which we will ask you to complete and return to us. Your application will then be reviewed by our team and we will contact you to arrange the next steps.