A motor vehicle service and maintenance technician service?s and repairs light vehicles such as cars and vans and works either in dealerships which focus on a particular manufacturer, or in an independent garage which deals with many different makes of vehicles.
What will I study?
In this apprenticeship you will be required to cover the following core skills, knowledge and behaviours:
- How vehicle service and repair is impacted by legislative, regulatory and ethical requirements, including health and safety law and environmental procedures
- The structure of the industry and how the business works from an operational perspective, business targets, the systems and processes that make up the efficient running of a business
- Steering and suspension geometries; electrical circuit requirements and calculations
- Common fault types, causes and effects of different types of faults
- The implications and legal requirements of fitting accessories and carrying out vehicle modifications
- Construction and operation of advanced electrical, braking and suspension systems, engine and transmission systems and engine and gear calculations Skills:
- Contribute to the maintenance of a safe and efficient workshop
- Demonstrate due regard for own safety and that of others in the workshop and minimise risk of injury and vehicle damage
- Follow recognised diagnostic procedures, logical diagnostic sequence and apply advanced diagnostic principles and problem-solving techniques to establish faults
- Report faults using company procedures and recommend suitable further actions
- Follow recognised repair procedures to complete a wide range of repairs including those which involve complex procedures, or in-depth knowledge
- Adhere to business processes and complete documentation following workplace procedure Behaviours:
- Take responsibility when required and be honest and accountable when things don?t go as planned
- Operate as an effective team member
- Behave in accordance with the values of the company and treat colleagues and customers with respect and courtesy
- Build effective relationships with colleagues and customers
- Gain trust and pay attention to colleagues and customers concerns and needs
- Communicate effectively on a range of topics and with all sorts of different people
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal if you have an interest in cars and repairing vehicles.
An apprenticeship is ideal if you want to;
- Achieve a qualification
- Gain valuable work experience and career development
- Earn while you learn
How is the course assessed?
- Day release one day a week at College
- Develop a portfolio of evidence
- Assessments in the work place
- To complete your apprenticeship you will have to pass an end point assessment
All materials needed for the course are fully provided by Northampton College.
Progression and Career Opportunities
After successful completion of this course you could progress your career within the Motor Vehicle industry or onto a higher-level qualification.
Entry Requirements for new students
- Applicants will typically hold:
- 4 x GCSEs grade 9-3
- Equivalent L2 qualifications appropriate to the apprenticeship
- Initial assessment (BKSB and free-writing) will demonstrate the applicant is working at Level 1 for English and mathematics
- In the absence of the above, a professional discussion may be offered to confirm suitability for the programme and likelihood to achieve.
*All applicants will be invited for interview with an apprenticeship advisor and the employer
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered.
- In exceptional circumstances, applications which do not meet the formal entry criteria may be considered on an individual basis.
Be prepared to sit English and maths assessments. You will need to bring copies of your certificates for any qualifications already achieved A copy of your CV or application The interview process will include an informal advice and guidance session with one of our apprenticeship advisors in preparation for a formal interview with an employer (subject to suitability for the course and job)