This qualification is designed to help students build the knowledge and skills needed when working with children and young people from birth to seven years.
The course covers a variety of units giving an in-depth understanding of the health and education needs of children including the Early Years Foundation Stage.
What will I study?
The method of learning is by a mixture of classroom based activity and work placements.
The CACHE Level 3 Diploma gives the student a broad educational foundation for employment and careers in many areas within Early Years.
You will spend two days a week in a work placement, building up a Personal Placement Record, plus block weeks.
The units you will study are likely to include:
Certificate - Year 1:
- Unit 1 Child development from conception to seven years
- Unit 2 Children's health and well being
- Unit 3 Providing safe environments for children
- Unit 4 ChildHealth
- Unit 5 Play and learning
- Unit 6 Understanding children's additional needs
- Unit 7 Observation, assessment and planning
Diploma - Year 2:
- Unit 9 supporting emergent literacy
- Unit 10 supporting emergent mathemetics
- Unit 11 Preparing for school readiness
- Unit 12 International perspectives
- Unit 13 Reflective Practice for professional development
- Unit 14 Professional partnerships in Early Years
- Unit 16 professional practice portfoli
All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal if you have an interest in working at an unsupervised level in the childcare workforce and wish to gain a Level 3 qualification in Childcare or wish to progress to Higher Education.
How is the course assessed?
This course will be internally and externally assessed by a range of methods. This could include:
- Direct observation within the workplace
- A portfolio of evidence
- Written assignments
- A task set by CACHE
Your Study Programme
If you are aged 16-18, you will join a Study Programme.
We will make sure you are working at the right level on your core qualification and are challenged to achieve the highest level of qualification you can. Work experience will be part of your study programme and complement your college study and prepare you for employment.
You will also get involved in activities to help you develop life skills and to build your confidence so you can make progress in your career.
Weekly timetables will include tutorial support which may comprise of full group activities or one to one sessions to discuss individual progress or support needs.
You will develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of:
Child development, observing behaviour and how to support children and young peoples education
Safeguarding, health and safety and wellbeing
- Working with parents, carers, wider families, agencies and services.
You will have the ability to:
Plan and lead activities that include the learning and development areas of current early education curriculum requirements
Analyse and explain how children's learning and development can be affected by their stage of development and individual circumstances
- Ensure plans fully reflect the stage of development, individual needs and circumstances of children and providing consistent care and responding quickly to the needs of the child.
What is required?
Care and compassion
Honesty, trust and integrity while working as part of a team
- Commitment to working in a non-discriminatory way whilst promoting British Values.
Stationery/Resources - £20 approximately
Text Books - £25 approximately
Uniform - £15 approximately (Payable at enrolment)
- DBS - price to be confirmed
Progression and Career Opportunities
Progression into employment could include:
- Early Years Educator
- Practitioner in day nurseries
- Practitioner in nursery schools
- Practitioner in reception classes in primary schools
- Pre-school worker
- Home based child carer
Students could also progress into Higher Education after completing this qualification.
Entry Requirements for new students
- Four GCSEs at Grade 9-4 (A*-C) or above including English Language or Literature and Mathematics or
- CACHE Level 2 Childcare Diploma at Pass Grade plus GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade 9-4
We recommend that you attend one of our exciting open events so that you can look around the department, the college and meet the tutors. You are welcome to do this before or after you apply.
These events have proved very successful in ensuring students and their families see the best of what the college has to offer such as our inspirational teaching areas, teachers, library facilities and places to eat.
Once you have applied our experienced Enrolment Team will consider your application carefully and will let you know, by email, if the College would like to make you a conditional offer based on you meeting the specified entry requirements. If your predicted grades or career aims suggest that an alternative subject area or course level would be more appropriate for you at this stage, we will contact you either by telephone, email or text. If you have told us that you have some additional support needs we will contact you to find out more so that we can help you.