This course aims to give students a basic insight and understanding into the health, fitness and sports industry, allowing them to further their knowledge both academically and also in a practical situation.
The course is a one year programme that is intended to introduce students to the world of sport and fitness, to develop their skills and gain entry on to Level 3 Sport at Northampton College.
As part of this course you will also gain volunteering experience working in a part of the sports industry of your interest. The method of learning is a mixture of both tutor led and practical sessions. Tutors expect full participation in practical lessons.
What will I study?
The units you will study are likely to include:
- Fitness for sport and exercise
- Practical sports performance
- The mind and sports performance
- Training for personal fitness
- Leading sports activities
- Anatomy and physiology for sports performance
- Promotion and sponsorship in sport
- Lifestyle and well-being
- Injury and the sports performer
- Running a sports events
- The sport and active leisure industry
- Profiling sports performance
All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for you if you have an interested in sport and wish to gain a Level 2 qualification in sport.
How is the course assessed?
All modules are internally assessed units they vary in the different methods of assessment e.g. observation of practical lessons, professional discussions, written tasks, presentations and coaching.
Your Study Programme
If you are aged 16-18, you will join a Study Programme. We will make sure you are working at the right level on your core qualification and are challenged to achieve the highest level of qualification you can. All students will continue to improve their maths and English and if you don't have a grade 4 (C) at GCSE, we will work with you towards achieving that goal (subject to specific entry requirements for particular courses). Work experience will be part of your study programme and complement your college study and prepare you for employment. You will also get involved in activities to help you develop life skills and to build your confidence so you can make progress in your career. Weekly timetables will include tutorial support which may comprise of full group activities or one to one sessions to discuss individual progress or support needs.
You will develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of:
- how to ensure Effective and efficient coaching systems, taking into consideration current health and safety, Safeguarding, data protection and equality Laws
- how to measure The impact of coaching strategies
- how to deliver inspirational sessions for children though tailored coaching and communication methods for maximum impact.
You will have the ability to:
- Understand and promote The value of an entire coaching team, including support staff, coaches, coaching assistants, and volunteers
- deliver safe and Effective coaching support to participants in practice, at events or competitions
- Prepare for coaching sessions by organising resources, conducting event risk assessments and ensuring safe operation.
What is required?
- be inspirational and lead by example, seeking out opportunities for continuous improvement
- Adapt when dealing with challenges by maintaining focus and Flexibility
- Challenge The status quo to foster new ways of thinking and working and to resolve problems.
You will need to purchase a uniform including a polo shirt, sweatshirt and jogging bottoms, and for sport practical lessons; shorts/tracksuit bottoms and T-shirts/sweatshirts purchased from School Trends. For all activities in the sports hall non-marking sole training shoes are required.
A lever arch file, paper, pens and a ruler are required for classroom lessons. A padlock is required for lockers.
Students have the opportunity to participate in enrichment activities from the wide range of enrichment activities available.
The cost for the trips and visits arranged during the course is approximately £120 and we would ask you to be prepared to pay this fee when you enrol onto your course in September.
Students are expected to behave, be punctual and dress appropriately at all times.
Progression and Career Opportunities
Following successful completion at Pass Grade, you may progress to Level 3 Sport. Alternatively, you can seek employment in the sports, leisure and fitness industry.
Entry Requirements for new students
Four GCSEs at Grade 3 [D] or above or - a related Level 1 qualification including English and Maths at Functional Skills Entry Level 3 or GCSE at grades 1-3 (G-D)
We recommend that you attend one of our exciting open events so that you can look around the department, the college and meet the tutors. You are welcome to do this before or after you apply. These events have proved very successful in ensuring students and their families see the best of what the college has to offer such as our inspirational teaching areas, teachers, library facilities and places to eat.
Once you have applied our experienced Enrolment Team will consider your application carefully and will let you know, by email, if the College would like to make you a conditional offer based on you meeting the specified entry requirements. If your predicted grades or career aims suggest that an alternative subject area or course level would be more appropriate for you at this stage, we will contact you either by telephone, email or text. If you have told us that you have some additional support needs we will contact you to find out more so that we can help you.