This is a one day a week course for chefs with no formal qualifications who wish to develop their skills in food preparation and cooking.
To gain the qualification you need to show you have a particular set of skills.
The qualification is assessed at college in a simulated workplace.
You will be trained in a range of cooking skills and tested through the completion of a variety of cooking and theory assessments.
The course is taught through both practical sessions within one of the College's realistic working environments, supported by theory sessions.
With the level 1 qualifications you will be able to secure employment as a trainee chef, junior commis, or waiter in most reputable catering establishments.
What will I study?
The units you will study are likely to include: Core units:
- Food safety
- Health and safety
- The art and skills of principle cooking methods.
*All units are subject to change and may be withdrawn.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal if you have an interest in developing your career within the catering and hospitality sector.
How is the course assessed?
These qualifications are assessed using
- Practical tasks
- Exams and/or online tests.
You will develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of:
- how external factors such as trends, business strategy and The environment influence The development of dishes and menus
- advanced food preparation and cooking to produce complex dishes and menu items that meet business and customer requirements
- The importance of maintaining food safety practices and procedures to ensure safe preparation and cooking of food.
You will have the ability to:
- Work as part of a team to Provide a unique dining experience
- organise, multitask and Manage time well
- be Creative, with a willingness to learn and self-develop.
What is required?
- Solve problems while working in a challenging, time-critical environment and remain calm under pressure
- maintain high standards and promote a customer-centric culture
- support colleagues, customers and The business.
All students are expected to follow our exacting stands of hygiene and health and safety.
- A clean pressed chef uniform in the kitchen
- Casual day wear for theory classes
The uniform and equipment cost is approximately £130. A list will be sent to you with your welcome pack before enrolling with us in September. Bursary support is available for students in receipt of certain benefits.
The uniform and equipment is purchased through nominated suppliers, cost will be discussed at interview.
Progression and Career Opportunities
Level 2 NVQ professional cooking to further develop your skills and employment opportunities.
Completion of level 1 will enhance your opportunities in securing employment as a trainee chef, kitchen assistant or junior commis chef.
Entry Requirements for new students
There are no formal entry requirements. You must have an interest in developing a career in the catering and hospitality industry.