We are always looking for good quality Work Experience Placements for our students so if you think you could offer placements please contact one of the team.
Many employers may think What’s in it for me? as there is no financial incentive in taking on work experience placements but consider:
- Do you have someone in your organisation who would benefit from mentoring students on placement, someone that is showing management potential?
- Try before you buy. Many employers use work experience as an opportunity to evaluate students with a view to offering employment/apprenticeships in the future.
If you have not offered work experience before we will:
- Undertake a workplace pre-placement check to ensure our students are placed in a safe environment.
- Request a copy of your Employers Liability Insurance. This is a mandatory requirement when hosting students on work experience.
- Talk you through the process of work experience to include student expectations, your responsibilities, details of what work the student will be doing on placement etc.
- Discuss and agree the duration and frequency of each placement that meets the needs of your business and the demands on College curriculum.
- Agree a data sharing process so we can share student names with you.
- Ask you to provide feedback on the student.
During the placement
Students should be treated as one of your employees during the placement however it is important to remember that students could be just 16 years old and may require reassurance and possibly greater supervision. If we are aware that any student on placement has any medical issues we will as a matter of course discuss this with you prior to the placement.
We appreciate there is a limit to what a student on placement can do in some instances, especially in high-risk areas such as construction, engineering and electrical environments. In such a case, students may observe work being undertaken instead.
All students are required to write up their experiences whilst on work experience and placement providers are encouraged to give feedback to include comments on time keeping, attitude, interest in the work etc so that we can monitor the students and identify any areas for improvement.
After the placement
Students are encouraged to update their CVs after the placement to include the new skills and experiences gained from the work experience placement to further enhance their chances of securing employment in the future.
The Work Placement Team can be contacted on 01604 734187