1173 011

16-19 Tuition Fund

For the academic year 2020-21, Northampton College has been allocated funding by The Education and Skills Funding Agency to support 16-19 year old students, on full time study programmes, whose learning has been disrupted by coronavirus (COVID-19).

Students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care Plan are also eligible for support. The funding will support small group tuition and be available to students who have not achieved a grade 5 or above in either English or maths. Priority will be given to supporting students who do not have a Grade 4 in English or maths and supporting students with special educational needs and disabilities.

Support for English and maths will be a priority, but support in vocational subjects will also be available. If you are worried about falling behind with your work or need extra support with your maths, English or main subject please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


Student Bursary scheme

We can help with advice on the cost of coming to college including course fees, travel costs, any equipment you may need to buy, uniform and childcare if you need it.

We want to make sure finance isn’t a barrier to your college studies. The College has access to government funding that could help you depending on your circumstances.

To qualify for help with the cost of coming to college, you will need to provide evidence of your circumstances and your eligibility for help will depend on your age, your household income and your immigration status. Exceptional circumstances may also apply.

You may qualify for help if your household income is below £26,000 per year. If there are three or more dependent children aged under 18 in full-time education in the household, you may qualify for assistance even if your household income is up to £30,000.

To be eligible for financial support, it is expected that households have claimed all funds available to them from other sources. If you are aged under 20 and in full time education, your household should be in receipt of Tax Credits or Universal Credit in order to be eligible for Bursary support. If you have not yet claimed Tax Credits or Universal Credit, you would be expected to do so before applying to the Bursary Scheme.

Click here to access the bursary application form for September 2020.

Our Student Bursaries and Financial Support Policy can be found here.

Childcare support

If you are aged over 20 at the start of your college course and applying to the Student Bursary scheme for help with the cost of childcare so you can come to college, you will need to register with one of our approved childcare providers, a list of which is available here.

If you are aged under 20, you may be eligible for help under the government’s Care to Learn scheme which pays for childcare with an Ofsted-registered provider while you are at college up to a maximum of £160 per week. Visit www.gov.uk to apply.

If you are a lone parent in receipt of income support and considering returning to college either full-time or part-time, you are advised to contact Jobcentre Plus (JCP) for help with financial support. If there is no support available through JCP, you may be eligible for support through the College’s student bursary scheme.

Other financial support

Sir Thomas White Educational Grant

This is a fund designed to help those anticipating financial difficulty with the costs of coming to college that cannot be covered by the student bursary scheme. You may be eligible if you are aged between 16 and 25, and have been living in the Northampton area since September 2014. To be considered for help from this grant, please download and complete the 2019/2020 Bursary Application Form and include a letter detailing the support that you are requesting.

Advanced Learner Loans

If you are under 19 when you start your full-time study programme, you won't pay any tuition, examination or registration costs (except late fees, re-sit entries, unsupported entries and unauthorised exam absences). If you are aged 19-23 and starting a full-time study programme, you may pay a yearly tuition fee and the examination, registration and assessment costs.

If you are aged over 24 and would like to study a course or Advanced Apprenticeship at Level 3, you may wish to apply for a loan to cover the cost of your course fees. You can apply here for an Advanced Learner Loan. Once your loan has been approved, you may be eligible for assistance with the other costs of coming to college through the student bursary scheme.

Similarly, students aged 19+ will be able to apply for a loan to pay for their Level 3 qualification if they already have a full Level 3 qualification and are studying a subsequent one.

Student loans for higher education

If you are planning to start a full-time or part-time higher education course at a university or college, you will be able to apply for a student loan from the beginning of the calendar year in which your course starts. For more information go to www.slc.co.uk/.

If you are returning to a higher education course at a university or college, you will need to re-apply for student finance each year via www.slc.co.uk/.

Additional help and support

If you are studying whilst in receipt of benefits or other forms of financial assistance, or need support with personal issues including homelessness, please contact our Student Services team on 01604 734066.

all logo


student success

Lynzey Chapman

Lynzey Chapman

Mother of four Lynzey Chapman, 39 from Briar Hill accessed the Advanced Learner Loan while studying the Access to Health Professions course at Northampton College. Lynzey said: “For me the Advanced...



Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address

Please select an enquiry topic
Please enter an enquiry message
We use the personal details from this form for administrative purposes and to occasionally contact you with information regarding courses and events that might be of interest.

We want to be clear on exactly why we need your data and we’ve tried our best to explain things simply. Please state that you have read and agreed to the terms and conditions of our Privacy Notice before you submit your application.

You must agree with our terms before submitting your details